Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Contacts: A Rant



That's my right eye. The bubble, which I'm surprised shows up in photos, would be a contact lens, of course. And it's a mighty expensive one—$144 just for that one alone.

I've been going through an ordeal during the last several months:

Trips to my optometrist: seven and counting

Pairs of lenses tried so far: four

Number that gave me clear vision: zero. And that's even after the adjustment period. Nothing has worked, and my vision with the lenses has been about the same as if I just took off my glasses and used nothing. I mean, some lenses have been slightly better than others, and I've been able to see enough to get around, but it's been frustrating and has given me headaches and very sore eyes. I just got my fourth pair this week, and they are about the same. I'm somehow supposed to wear the lenses to work, but I can't, especially when I'm paid to read all day. So that leaves me nights and weekends, and forget that if I actually want to do something like watch a movie, drive without worrying too much, etc.—you know, stuff where it would be particularly nice to be able to see. While wearing my third pair, though, I did manage to go to the store, cook dinner, have a friend over, and generally entertain. No clear vision, but at least they were comfortable enough to wear all day, and on that particular day, I wore them about 11 hours—a record for me.

Condition of my eyes: Weird. At least, that's what they tell me. They're extremely flat, need a plus power, and are astigmatic—a perfect storm of conditions that my doctor warned me about on my first visit; he told me it would be quite the challenge to fit me properly, but we were both willing to go for it. At this point, every pair of disposable soft lenses has been ruled out because they don't come in the proper size or power that I need. Wait, there was one that might have worked—my doctor showed it to me in the big book o' contact lens info so I could see it's been discontinued. Sigh. So I'm now trying the conventional lenses that have to be worn a year or more.

Times I've fainted during all of this: zero (shocking). I've always been particularly squeamish about my eyes and have dreaded the thought of putting anything in them, much less attempting to take something out. The photo above is proof that I actually did it—yay!

Times I've felt faint: Several when I first started, but the worst case was when they were inserted for the very first time. Because, really, there's nothing quite like learning how to do that in the office's lobby in front of the receptionist and other patients. Seriously, they couldn't have given me my own room for that?! I've had my own room ever since, but the first time was very public and ended with them having to bring me water and direct a large fan at my face. Quite embarrassing. Other highlights: A patient came in and actually asked what on earth they were doing to me. Another patient showed sympathy by saying she used to be as bad as me. And the woman who trained me declared loudly, "Bless your heart, you're shaking like a leaf!" (I was.) She also told the doctor, "Well, she's been at it for 20 minutes and has only managed to get one in." Guess what, though? As soon as she left me alone and quit watching me, I could put the things in and take them out.

How hard are they to put in and take out?: I've found that it depends on the thickness of the lenses. In general, I think they are easier to insert than remove. Once, I wondered if it would be possible to cry the things out.

The pluses of all this?: I've not paid for a single visit after my first one. My doctor charges the same base fee no matter if you require one fitting or 20. And the lenses haven't cost me anything so far. Also, I bought some new sunglasses and got to wear them. And yes, I am really proud of myself for getting over the squeamishness. I've also been surprised that some lenses have been very comfortable. I've had some that I couldn't really feel. Here's hoping comfort and clarity will converge someday for me.

Recent weather: This is our tenth straight day of temps at 100 degrees or more (105 yesterday). And we're having a draught. Contact wearers know this can dry out lenses, but I really just had to throw this in here because, dang, it's been HOT, and I just wanted to say that.

Apologies I owe my readers (if you're still reading): At least one—for this rambling complaint.

10 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, August 20, 2007, Blogger Aaron White said...

This was not what I needed to read three days before my next optometrist appointment to formalize my own contacts situation. I find that walking around with contacts on is a bit like watching a movie where they use subtle strobing effects to make a daylit street seem surreal and threatening. I really only want them for when I do plays or want to look my best, but I'm trying to get used to wearing them for extended lengths anyway, and it makes my world a little weirder.

For me the two big surprises have been:

1. I can touch my eye without shrieking and clutching for the smelling salts.

2. No one freakin' notices that I'm not wearing my big clunky spectacles. Not one woman has thrown herself at me. Perhaps I had inflated expectations.

Here's hoping you can make this contacts thing work to your advantage! You do look fine with glasses, though.

 
At 9:18 AM, August 21, 2007, Blogger Diane said...

Thanks, Aaron. And I hope everything goes well for you with your lenses.

I had another appointment yesterday, and it now looks like I get to participate in some conference or something as a test patient for hybrid lenses (rigid in the center, soft on the outside). Can't say I'm looking forward to it, but if all goes well, I may get free lenses for spending an evening at this thing.

 
At 5:04 PM, August 21, 2007, Blogger Aaron White said...

Wow. You're on the cutting edge of optics! Maybe you could puff it up into a line on a resume. Present yourself as a scientific researcher.

 
At 5:13 PM, August 21, 2007, Blogger Diane said...

When all this is said and done, I'll probably just end up with a new pair of glasses. But at least I tried. Good thing I don't hate glasses. I actually think a lot of people look good in them, and the right pair can be quite fun.

 
At 10:27 AM, August 28, 2007, Blogger Aaron White said...

Is you new tag line about letting it all be blown thin by the wind a reference to your blog? I hope you're not pullnig the plug!

 
At 10:32 AM, August 28, 2007, Blogger Diane said...

Nope. Ha ha, it does sound like that, though. It's just a line from a song I greatly like. I'll probably change it before long.

 
At 10:18 AM, August 31, 2007, Blogger Aaron White said...

Say, have you seen Wim Wender's Room 666? I caught it last night and thought of you and the old-tyme Sidewalk Messboard gang. It's just a gaggle of noteworthy filmmakers at Cannes 1982 talking about the future of film.

Your blog quotes grow increasingly distressing!

 
At 2:26 PM, August 31, 2007, Blogger Diane said...

I've never seen that one--never even heard of it, actually. Thanks for the tip. Yeah, the old message board: It's still sad that it died the way it did.

No need to be alarmed. Just more song lyrics.

 
At 10:59 AM, December 04, 2007, Blogger sdfgsdfg said...

Diane.

Can you leave us more pics of your eyes?

Veeeery nice. :)

-s.

 
At 11:03 AM, December 04, 2007, Blogger Diane said...

And now you know why you shouldn't stay away from here for so long. Because you miss out of stuff like this, and your world is a sadder and darker place because of it.

It is lovely to see you back here again. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home