Friday, July 07, 2006

Vacation Facts and Stats

This is the time of year when I start wanting to go on vacation, though that never seems to happen. Let's break this down.

Number of years I've worked where I do now: 5 1/2

Number of vacation days I get this year, since I've reached my five-year anniversary: 22

Number of vacation days I've used so far this year: 1

Number of years it's been since I've been on a vacation (i.e. taking a trip, as opposed to just taking time off): More than I'd care to admit

Overall traveling experience: Quite low

Regret over that fact: Somewhat high

Farthest away from home I've ever been (/Sam Gamgee voice): The Bahamas

What I would love to do on a vacation: Pick a city and thoroughly explore it, hitting all of the spots the locals know and love and taking in as many museums as I can.

What I actually end up doing when I take vacation time now: Not much. What usually happens is that I take two or three weeks off before Christmas. Use it or lose it, you know, and there's no way I'd lose it.

What I did on my last (kinda-sorta) vacation: Took a one-day birthday trip to New Orleans so a friend and I could go to a concert. Became very ill and almost fainted in front of the bar. Had a bartender offer to get roadies to carry me out to my car. Impressed bystanders by emerging from the concert hall carrying a HUGE chunk of ice on my head. (Actually, that probably impressed no one. This was New Orleans, after all. And no, I had not been doing anything even remotely untoward.)

What I did on my last vacation (that didn't involve visiting family members and that lasted more than one day): Woke up with a sore throat. Experienced my first flight. Witnessed the most gorgeous sunrise ever while high up in the clouds. Developed a fever by the time I boarded the ship. Went to some rather uninteresting islands where the only activities were shopping and gambling. Took cold medicine. Ate some food that was terrific, in spite of the fact that I probably couldn't taste much. Discovered cruising really isn't my thing.

What I did on my last family-related vacation: Stayed with my sister and brother-in-law for a month. Had an absolute blast. Slept on a cot the whole time but would do it again in a minute. Happily, there's no need to now, since we live in the same city.

The vacation plan I find myself dreaming about more and more lately, even though I'd previously put the idea to bed: Attending the Toronto International Film Festival

The film festival I'm much more likely to actually attend: The Sidewalk Moving Picture Festival. I have no excuse because it's in my city. I'm very much looking forward to the annoucement of this year's lineup. Last year's was pretty good and included Mutual Appreciation (with Bujalski attending) and Cavite, to name just a couple.

9 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Russell Lucas said...

Oh, man. You should totally make a Toronto plan. (Look at me-- the guy who went for just a weekend once {though I'll do everything in my power to make sure I'm back there for at least that long, if not longer, this year}) The city's ridiculously beautiful and has lots going on above and beyond the film festival. I can't imagine how you wouldn't have a great time.

And I haven't even mentioned the Hockey Hall of Fame.

 
At 3:17 PM, July 10, 2006, Blogger Doug said...

Yes Diane--Toronto Toronto Toronto! You're probably likely to be interested in the kinds of films the rest of are, so you'll no doubt find someone to stand in line with at any given screening, but even if not, we usually meet up for meals in between films. And it's a very safe, clean, interesting city.

Costs would include hotel, food, transportation, tix, but a lot of that would be true anywhere you went. I'm looking at a 30-film pass ($350), an out-of-town, overnight ordering option ($150), then airfare, hotel, etc. Unfortunately the US dollar isn't as competitive with the Canadian dollar as it used to be. The Toronto subway system is superb so you wouldn't have to worry about transporation once you got there.

The full program and schedule won't be released until August 29, but the 2006 website has just gone live today:

http://www.e.bell.ca/filmfest/2006

 
At 12:12 PM, July 12, 2006, Blogger Diane said...

You guys certainly are good salesmen. :) It's pretty much impossible for me not to get caught up in all of the TIFF excitement.

Thanks for the link, Doug.

 
At 1:38 PM, July 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do it, Diane! I still think, if nothing else, you should go for a long weekend. Sort of dip your toe in the water...

 
At 10:37 AM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Diane said...

Etpetra! Nice to see you here.

Heh, don't you remember my amazing ability to get lost in my own city? ;) No telling what could happen in Toronto.

But I am looking into this....

 
At 11:16 PM, July 24, 2006, Blogger girish said...

TIFF-you'll love it. I promise.

 
At 5:10 PM, July 27, 2006, Blogger Diane said...

Hi, Girish. Thanks for the comment. I'm a big fan of your blog, so if I end up going, it would be great to meet you.

 
At 6:19 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger girish said...

Hi, Diane. It would be great to meet you as well; and I'm very glad to have discovered your blog!

 
At 5:17 PM, August 11, 2006, Blogger Diane said...

Hey, it's quite an honor to have you here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home